Home  Contact Us
  Follow Us On:
Advertising Advertising Free Newsletter Free E-Newsletter

Foreign Couples no longer allowed to register marriage in China
Published on: 2019-05-17
Share to
User Rating: / 0

071Two foreigners are not allowed to register their marriage at Civil Affairs offices in China (marriages between a foreigner and Chinese national are still permitted.) This means that two foreigners can no longer obtain a Chinese marriage certificate. This new regulation was published on March 29, 2019, and already went into effect nationwide.

073Marriages in China are administered by the marriage registration office of the local civil affairs bureau, (民政局) in each jurisdiction. People planning to marry should visit or call one of these offices for specific information. The appropriate civil affairs office will be the one in the jurisdiction in which the Chinese citizen is registered (the location of their 户口hukou).

If a foreigner wants to get married with a Chinese citizen. The following documentation will be required, according to the US Embassy in Beijing.

- A valid passport with a valid Chinese visa

- An “affidavit of marriageability.” You can get this document at the Embassy or Consulate by swearing or affirming before a Consul that you are legally free to marry. You must make an appointment for a notarial service to get this affidavit, and there is a 300rmb charge. If either party was previously married, bring a clear photocopy of either the divorce or annulment decree or the death certificate which shows how the marriage ended. If you present an original certified copy with the copy for their review, the Chinese authorities will usually accept the copy. Hold on to your original documents, since they may be required if you later wish to file an immigrant visa petition for your spouse. Note: In order to complete your affidavit of marriageability correctly, you are highly recommended to bring a photocopy of your Chinese fiancé's ID card (身份证).”

072- Three photos of the couple, taken together

- Registration fee

Questions regarding what documents the Chinese partner must submit should be directed to the local marriage registration office (婚姻登记处).

074Marriage certificates are usually issued on the same day the registration takes place. Marriages that are legal in the jurisdiction in which they were performed are legal in the United States. It is not necessary to register your marriage at the Embassy, Consulate, or in the United States, nor do you need to re-marry in the States.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment

security code
Write the displayed characters

    Subscription    |     Advertising    |     Contact Us    |
Address: Magnetic Plaza, Building A4, 6th Floor, Binshui Xi Dao.
Nankai District. 300381 TIANJIN. PR CHINA
Tel: +86 22 23917700
E-mail: webmaster@businesstianjin.com
Copyright 2020 BusinessTianjin.com. All rights reserved.